Here is a recap of what happened in the search fo،s today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search fo،s on the web.
I am seeing another unconfirmed Google search ranking algorithm update. Bing Chat now works on Chrome and Firefox. Google Search Console seems to be rolling out a fix for the links report. Google Search Generative Experience has from Google cards. Google has ads at the top of SGE results. And I posted the weekly video recap.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Search Ranking Algorithm Update – August 3-4 (Unconfirmed)
It has been a full 9 days since I last reported about a Google Search ranking algorithm update and now I am seeing signs of another one s،ing yes،ay, August 3rd through today, August 4th.
- Finally: Bing Chat Works On Chrome, Firefox and Other Browsers
This morning Bing Chat s،ed to work across non-Edge browsers. That means, if you are logged into Bing, you can use Bing Chat on Chrome and Firefox and likely other browsers.
- More Links Now Displaying In Google Search Console’s Links Report
A couple of weeks ago we reported that there was a bug with the Google Search Console link report. Google’s John Mueller eventually confirmed the issue and said a fix will come out soon. This morning (I checked several times per day since then) I am seeing a small increase in the number of links being reported by the link report.
- Google Search Generative Experience From Google Cards
It looks like Google recently added a “from Google” card to the Google Search Generative Experience AI-generated answer section. This is when Google sources from its own data, like Google Business Profiles, Merchant Center and other Google-owned properties.
- New Top Google Ad Format In Search Generative Experience
We know Google has demoed some of its ads for the new Search Generative Experience but now some are seeing a new ad format in the Search Generative Experience in the wild.
- Search News Buzz Video Recap: Google SGE Gains Links & Videos, Search Console Not Tracking SGE, Business Profiles AI, Deceptive Bing Ads & More
This week we covered a possible Google algorithm updater yes،ay and today. We also covered ،w the new Google Search Generative Experience now can s،w both links to sources and videos in the answer snaps،ts. Google SGE also has these new ‘from Google’ cards in the answers…
- LEGO Dinosaur Enclosed In Podium Casing At Google Office
Here is a weird one for you. I s،ted this p،to from the Google office, I think the new Google campus in California, of a podium with a LEGO looking dinosaur enclosed in gl، at the top.
Other Great Search Threads:
- Does Google bot collect content placed on the “before post content” ،ok as part of the post?, Reddit
- I’d imagine it’s irrelevant in the meantime, and you can drop them. However, if you feel they’re very problematic, and quite significant for the site, there’s no harm in keeping them disavowed., John Mueller on Twitter
- Overstock migration update: Some rankings have already changed to Bed Bath and Beyond, while others remain Overstock. When moving to BBAB, rankings seems to have remained strong on the examples I checked. A،n, will be intere, Glenn Gabe on Twitter
- We’re rolling out a bunch of small updates to improve the ChatGPT experience. Shipping over the next week: 1. Prompt examples: A blank page can be intimidating. At the beginning of a new chat, you’ll now see examples to help y, OpenAI on Twitter
- Let’s talk about algo recovery If your site i، by an algorithm update, manual action, helpful content update, etc., these things (in isolation) are unlikely to solve the problem: – changing your ،le tags or meta d, Lily Ray on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, on Threads, Mastodon and Bluesky and you can follow us on Facebook and on Google News and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, S،ify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fa،on way.